Date Organized: July 13, 1854
Jackson Street, south side, between Montgomery and Kearney Streets.
A fireproof brick building, city property in good order, (1860).
Replaced the disbanded Lady Washington Engine Company
1863 Company transferred to new quarters at 22 O'Farrell Street between Dupont Street (now Grant Avenue) and Stockton Streets.
A three story brick building, city property, in good order, (1864).
1860 John Swift
1862 Cornelius Mooney
1864 A. C. Imbrie
1865 A. C. Imbrie
1855 Engine: Cowing, Seneca Falls, New York, second class, side-lever engine, city property - Hose carriage, two wheel, city property.
1860 Engine: James Smith, New York, third class, city property, repairs required - Hose carriage, four wheel, city property, repairs required.
1855 - 56
1860 - 43
1863 - 65
1864 - 48
1866 – 49
* MANHATTAN ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 2, was organized very recently (January, 1854), through the exertions of Messrs. David L. Beck, D. B. Arrowsmith, and other gentlemen, who felt a lively interest in the department. Their number, which they had obtained, because it was left blank, at the date of their formation, had been previously assigned to two companies, viz.: the Protection, 1852, and the Lady Washington, both having been disbanded, the latter very recently. The Manhattan, though young, has given proof of its strength and usefulness, and now numbers over fifty good members—all permanent citizens. The apparatus is a New York side-lever engine, with hose cart, and is located on Montgomery Street, adjoining the Metropolitan theatre.
* Source: Frank Soulé, John H. Gihon, M.D., and James Nisbet. The Annals of San Francisco. 1855: San Francisco