Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 6
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  December 3, 1866

Location:  South of Market

1866   December 3rd, assigned to quarters at 311 - 6th Street, the former quarters of Pennsylvania Engine Company No. 12
1906   April 18th, the firehouse, a two story frame building, valued at $10,000, was a total lost due to the 1906 Fire
1906   April 23rd, company disbanded
1907   Company reorganized and assigned to temporary quarters at 62 South Street (Daggett Street)
1912   April 12th, assigned to new quarters, 356 - 7th Street, cost $14,000
1955   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 29, 299 Vermont Street for the rebuilding of their firehouse
1956   April 9th, returned to quarters at 356 - 7th Street

Location:  Castro, Hayes Valley, Haight and Fillmore

1973   January 16th, relocated to 135 Sanchez Street, the quarters of Truck Co. No. 6
2000   March 20th, relocated to 1443 Grove Street, the quarters of Engine Co. No. 21 for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
2000   December 4th, returned to quarters 135 Sanchez Street