Date Organized: November 4, 1852
Jackson Street, north side, between Kearny and Dupont (now Grant Avenue) Streets. A three story fire proof brick building, city property, in good order, (1860).
1865 Company moved to east side of 6th Street (311) between Folsom and Harrison Streets. A two story frame building, city property, in good order.
1860 John Hanna
1862 Frank G. Edwards
1864 John Hanna
1865 John J. Robbins
1864 John Hanna
1855 The engines, known as the old Franklin of Philadelphia.
1855 August, John Agnew, Philadelphia, a magnificent first class engine, a cost of more than $5,000, company property. Hose carriage, four wheel, John Agnew, Philadelphia.
1861 Engine: Neafie & Levy, Philadelphia, second class steam engine, company property.
1862, August 19th, converted from hand drawn when a team of 3 black horses were harnessed to the engine
THE FIRST HORSE DRAWN APPARATUS IN THE DEPARTMENT
1855 - 58
1860 - 54
1863 - 63
1864 - 50
1866 - 41
* PENNSYLVANIA ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 12. - This active company was organized November 4th, 1852, by Messrs. Robert B. Quayle, P. E. Garvin, John V. McElwee, John Hanna, George R. Gluyas, H. S. Brown, E. T. Batturs, and others. The house is located in Jackson street, between Kearny and Dupont streets. The engine, known as the old Franklin, of Philadelphia, is at present in their possession. They have had built in the latter city, by Agnew, a magnificent first-class Philadelphia engine, which is expected to arrive in August, and will be a competitor of the new engine, building for the Monumental, in Baltimore. This company has been on a steady increase since its organization, and is one of the best governed in the department. Their uniforms are of the Philadelphia style, from which city many of its members have brought the spirit of enthusiasm which has so long characterized its own fire department. As an instance of the liberality of the San Franciscans towards the perfection of their department, we may add an anecdote told in Philadelphia, in connection with this very engine. The company had sent in advance $5,000 to pay for the construction of a magnificent engine, and not deeming that sum sufficient; shortly afterwards forwarded another installment. The economic Philadelphia artisan, already at a loss how to expend upon his work the first apparently enormous sum, now applied for information as regarded the use to be made of the second amount, alleging his inability to do otherwise than pocket it. “Convert it into silver or gold and stick it on any where,” replied the members. And this same generous spirit is actuating all the companies in their desire to obtain unrivalled apparatus. An immense sum of money has been expended in New York on an engine recently constructed by order from San Francisco.
* Source: Frank Soulé, John H. Gihon, M.D., and James Nisbet. The Annals of San Francisco. 1855: San Francisco