Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum

Great Fires: 1906 Great Earthquake & Fire

― 195 ―

Appendix A.
Earthquake in California, April 18, 1906
Special Report of Maj. Gen. Adolphus W. Greely, U. S. A., Commanding the Pacific Division

Add 200,000 rations to above order. Call on Geary for any portion of these stores you require. In connection with this, revenue cutter Perry, Captain Tuttle, will report to department commander. Transport rations to Frisco unless same can be more expeditiously forwarded by rail. What additional rations can you obtain in Portland? Answer.

WASHINGTON, April 19, 1906.
Commissary, Seattle, Wash.:

Secretary of War directs purchase and immediate shipment of 300,000 partial rations. You are authorized to make substitutions. Invoice to depot commissary, Frisco. Acknowledge and give date shipment and probable date arrival Frisco.
Memorandum sent to the Secretary of War April 19, 1906:

I have the honor to recommend that General Funston be authorized to send one of the commissary officers on duty in San Francisco to Los Angeles and other surrounding places to purchase such supplies as may be needed for destitutes, not to exceed in quantity 200,000 rations. This in addition to the 400,000 rations already ordered from Portland.


Capt. L. B. Simonds, commissary, U. S. A., was directed by General Funston to proceed to Los Angeles, Cal., and vicinity to purchase 200,000 rations, as requested in the memorandum of the Commissary-General to the Secretary of War.

By direction of General Funston, surplus rations at posts in the Departments of California and the Columbia were shipped to the depot commissary, San Francisco, Cal., for distribution to the hungry. The first of the 900,000 rations arrived from Portland, Oreg., on April 21, 1906, and continued to arrive from time to time until all shipments had been received. The rations were well adapted to the needs of the people. The coffee, sugar, soap, salt, candles, and similar articles were especially needed, as there was a great shortage of those necessities. All of the stores were of the best quality, and especial care was taken by the shipping officers to have shipments move promptly.

Colonel Davis, Major Geary, and Captain Simonds deserve great praise for making the purchases and shipments so promptly. To prevent a large accumulation of perishable foodstuffs and unnecessary expenditures of funds, the Citizens' Relief Committee was notified that 900,000 rations had been ordered shipped by direction of the Secretary of War, and if additional rations were needed the Commissary-General would be so advised. After making a careful investigation with the relief committee as to the quantity of subsistence stores on hand, those in transit, and the needs of the people, it was decided that additional rations would not be needed unless something unforeseen occurred. In event that additional food supplies were needed, the relief committee were to give timely notice, so that additional supplies could be arranged for. It was found that the rations on hand and the relief supplies which were received from time to time were sufficient to meet the wants of the people.

― 196 ―


On the morning after the earthquake the Subsistence Department began to extend such relief as was practicable to the thousands of homeless people who had fled to the military reservations of the Presidio and Forts Mason and Miley. Such subsistence stores as were available were issued. The bakeries were run to their full capacity and large quantities of bread baked for distribution. The cooks on duty at the training school for cooks and bakers at the Presidio made large quantities of hot coffee for distribution to the women. Wagon trains, under charge of officers and clerks of the Subsistence Department, were sent to warehouses and factories not destroyed by fire and all available food supplies were obtained, hauled to the reservations and other places where people had assembled, and issued to the hungry. The gathering of food continued until the factories and warehouses were destroyed and the men driven out by the fire. This work was very hazardous, as the warehouses were near the water front and there was danger of men and teams being cut off and prevented from reaching places of safety. The stores issued by commissaries and those obtained from warehouses were much needed, as little food was available for the hungry.


On the morning of April 20, 1906, the first relief supplies for the destitute and hungry people began to arrive from neighboring cities. The people were demoralized and unsettled by the effects of the earthquake and fire. Everything was in confusion and disorder, and immediate steps were taken by the Quartermaster's and the Subsistence departments to receive the relief supplies, the former to handle the clothing and supplies pertaining to that department and the latter to care for the food supplies. Relief subsistence supplies poured into the city with great rapidity, and to handle them with dispatch and get them to the hungry people temporary receiving and distributing points were established as follows:
1. Presidio wharf, the Presidio of San Francisco; 2. Transport dock foot of Folsom street; 3. Santa Fe warehouse, Spear and Harrison streets; 4. Southern Pacific freight sheds, Fourth and Townsend streets; 5. Southern Pacific freight yards, Sixteenth and Kentucky streets.

Relief stores were received by rail and by water. Stores received from the Southern Pacific Company were unloaded from the cars on freight steamers at the Oakland mole and sent to the Presidio wharf or transport dock and unloaded. The Southern Pacific Company also unloaded a large number of cars at their freight sheds and yards at Fourth and Townsend streets and at Sixteenth and Kentucky streets. The Santa Fe system sent their cars to their freight sheds at Spear and Harrison streets, or to the transport dock. Relief stores arriving by water were unloaded at the transport dock, or at the Presidio wharf. The receiving points were well adapted for the handling of large quantities of supplies with celerity and dispatch. At each receiving and distributing point there was an officer and a number of

― 197 ―

employees of the Subsistence Department to receive, sort, and deliver food supplies to persons authorized to receive them. The receiving and distributing points were temporary, as time did not permit the establishment of regular depots.

The people were homeless, destitute, and suffering from the want of food and clothing, and it was absolutely necessary that immediate relief be afforded them. Everything that was possible to alleviate the sufferings of the people was done. Officers and men worked night and day in getting supplies to the people. Bakeries were established, ranges obtained, and bread baked. Arrangements were made for the slaughtering of cattle and the issuing of fresh meat. Relief stations were established at places where large numbers of people had congregated, and supplies hauled and distributed to the hungry and needy.

On the afternoon of April 18 the Mayor of San Francisco appointed a general relief committee, consisting of prominent citizens of San Francisco. Under direction of the relief committee, relief stations were established throughout the city, each station being placed in charge of a responsible person. The general relief committee had a representative at each receiving point, who determined as to the right of persons receiving food supplies.

The relief committee and Subsistence Department worked together without the slightest friction. The members of the committee were intelligent business men and it was a pleasure to be associated with them in the work we were performing.


After the first wants of the people had been satisfied, the issuing of food at the temporary receiving points was discontinued and general relief depots were established. The Citizens' Relief Committee established one at the Moulder School, Page and Gough streets (which was turned over to the army April 28, 1906), and the Subsistence Department established one general relief depot at the Presidio of San Francisco and one at the Haslett Warehouse, Spear and Folsom streets. An experienced officer of the Subsistence Department and the necessary post commissary sergeants, clerks, and laborers were assigned to each general relief depot. Each depot was complete in itself and was organized on the same general lines as the subsistence depots of the Army would be organized for the subsisting of a large army occupying a great city. The depots were located as near as practicable to the base of supplies and at points accessible to the district dependent upon it for rations and stores. Food supplies arriving at the wharves or railroad freight depots or yards were hauled to the general relief depots and there sorted, classified, and arranged for issue.

Relief supplies would, as a general rule, consist of mixed lots of clothing, food, medicines, and household supplies. The supplies would be of every conceivable variety and packed in every style of package, some marked and some not marked at all. It was necessary to detail experienced officers and clerks at receiving points to separate the supplies and designate those that were to be sent to the general relief depots. Perishable stores would be at once sent out and issued, semiperishable stores would be stored and next issued, while nonperishable stores would be delivered last or stored for reserve use. There

― 198 ―

was absolutely no delay in handling freight. As fast as cars or cargoes were received they were promptly unloaded and the supplies hauled to warehouses. This was necessary, as delay in unloading and storing would have caused a congestion of freight. The three general relief depots had a capacity of receiving, storing, and issuing 400,000 rations daily.

The following is a roster of officers who were on duty at receiving points, general relief depots, and at the fresh meat depot:
Headquarters depots of relief subsistence stores:
Maj. C. R. Krauthoff, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Maj. H. E. Wilkins, commissary, U. S. A., assistant.
Folsom street dock:
Capt. S. F. Bottoms, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Veterinarian J. H. Uri, 6th Cavalry, assistant.
Southern Pacific freight sheds (Fourth and Townsend streets):
Capt. A. M. Edwards, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Lieut. Frank L. Pyle, Philippine Scouts, assistant.
Fresh meat depot (Seventeenth and Harrison streets):
Capt. A. M. Edwards, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Santa Fe depot:
Capt. F. H. Lawton, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Warehouse No. 1, Presidio:
Capt. L. B. Simonds, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Lieut. C. W. Waller, Artillery Corps, assistant.
Warehouse No. 2, Haslett Warehouse:
Capt. F. H. Lawton, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Warehouse No. 3, Moulder School:
Capt. J. N. Kilian, commissary, U. S. A., in charge.
Dr. George H. Richardson, U. S. A., in charge special diet.
Oakland mole:
Lieut. Lindzy E. Cheatham, Philippine Scouts.
Presidio wharf:
Lieut. John J. A. Clark, Philippine Scouts.

As the number of destitute and homeless people became less, officers were relieved from duty and the number of clerks and laborers reduced. The Haslett Warehouse was abandoned May 24, 1906.


Under date of April 29, 1906, Major-General Greely, commanding Pacific Division, issued the following order:
[For General Orders, No. 18, here omitted, see p. 60, ante.]
Under date of May 1, 1906, Maj. Lea Febiger, inspector-general, issued the following instructions:
Hamilton School, O'Farrell and Scott Streets,
San Francisco, Cal., May 1, 1906.
The following notice is published for the benefit of all concerned:
"Fort Mason, Cal., April 27, 1906.

"By direction of the division commander, Maj. Lea Febiger, inspector-general, will have direction, under the supervision of the depot quartermaster and depot commissary, of the arrangements for the food supply stations in the city of San Francisco.

"Colonel, General Staff, Chief of Staff."

― 199 ―

The above direction takes effect at noon May 2, 1906, in the five remaining unorganized sections. All requisitions for supplies of all relief stations in the city must be approved by the signature of the chief of their section in which they are located, at their respective section headquarters, from 2 to 4 o'clock every afternoon, until further notice, and they will be honored at the designated supply depots.

No relief supplies whatever will be issued after noon to-morrow from warehouses and depots under military control to any section or persons in the city of San Francisco except on approval, as above outlined.

It is desired that all relief stations be listed as soon as possible.

Major, Inspector-General, U. S. A., Chief of Bureau.


First.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 100 and 200, with section headquarters on Sacramento street, between Locust and Laurel, Capt. William Mitchell, Signal Corps, in charge, is bounded as follows: On the south by Fulton street, on the east by Devisadero street, on the north and west by San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean, including Presidio reservation, but not including Fort Miley reservation.

Second.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 200 and 300, with the section headquarters at Park lodge, northeast corner of Golden Gate Park, with Lieut. J. R. Pourie, Artillery Corps, in charge, is bounded as follows: On the north by Fulton street, on the east by Devisadero and Castro streets, on the south by Eighteenth and L streets, on the west by the Pacific Ocean.

Third.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 300 and 400, with section headquarters at the corner of Bay street and Van Ness avenue, with Lieut. J. L. Benedict, 14th Infantry, in charge, is bounded as follows: On the north and east by San Francisco Bay, on the south by Union street, on the west by Devisadero street.

Fourth.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 400 and 500, with section headquarters at Hamilton School, O'Farrell and Scott streets, Capt. W. W. Harts, Corps of Engineers, in charge, is bounded as follows: On the north by Union street, on the east by the bay, on the south by Market street, on the west by Devisadero and Castro streets.

Fifth.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 500 and 600, with section headquarters at Eleventh and Bryant, with Capt. L. W. Oliver, 12th Cavalry, in charge, is bounded as follows: On the north by Market street, on the east by the bay, on the south by Eighteenth street, on the west by Castro street.

Sixth.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 600 and 700, with section headquarters at Potrero avenue and Twenty-fourth street, with Lieut. R. V. Venable, 22d Infantry, in charge, is bounded as follows: On the north by Eighteenth street, on the east by the bay, on the south by the county line, on the west by the Southern Pacific Railroad track.

Seventh.—Section wherein all official relief stations are numbered between 700 and 800, with section headquarters at Guerrero and Twenty-fifth streets, with Lieut. E. S. Adams in charge, is bounded as follows: On the north by Eighteenth street, on the east by the Southern Pacific Railroad, on the west by the ocean, on the south by the county line.


As seen by General Greely's order, paragraph XIV, and Major Febiger's instructions, the city was divided into relief sections and an officer placed in charge of each section. Each relief section was divided into a number of official relief stations, where food and other supplies were issued to deserving people.

A department of transportation was organized by the quartermaster's department and placed under charge of an officer. The

― 200 ―

officer in charge of transportation assigned to each section wagon trains, the number of wagons depending upon the quantities of supplies to be transported and the distance they had to be hauled. In drawing rations the officer in charge of sections would prepare ration returns, showing number of mouths that were to be fed, and submit the approved return to the officer in charge of one of the general relief depots. The rations called for would be loaded into wagons, hauled to the relief stations, and issued to the people as circumstances demanded.

The receiving of supplies from railroads and steamers, the hauling of supplies to general relief depots, the sorting and arranging of stores, and the methods of filling requisitions were based on well-defined army methods and proved simple, expeditious, economical, and effective.


As the supply of salt and canned meats on hand was not sufficient to make full issues of the meat component of the ration, and to afford variety and prevent scurvy, issues of chilled fresh beef were made three times each week. A central point, conveniently located so that the haul to relief stations would be short, was selected, and a fresh meat depot was established under charge of an officer of the Subsistence Department. The issues of fresh beef were made direct from iced refrigerator cars or from chill rooms of cold-storage plants. The fresh beef was inspected either by an inspector of the United States Department of Agriculture or by an inspector appointed by the president of the Board of Health of San Francisco.

To prevent a congestion of wagons at the issuing point and to insure speedy delivery certain hours were assigned to each relief section, the sections having the longest hauls drawing first. Ration returns calling for fresh beef would be presented, by officers in charge of relief sections or their representatives, to the officer in charge of the fresh meat depot, who would issue the quantity called for. The fresh beef would then be hauled to the relief stations, cut up, and issued, under proper supervision, to the people. The fresh beef depot worked very satisfactorily. Clean wagons, with covers to protect the meat from the sun, flies, and dirt, were always insisted upon. During the months of May and June 1,047,307 pounds of fresh beef, costing $60,957.59, were purchased and paid for from relief and Red Cross funds.


Fortunately three large bakeries, having a total capacity of approximately 200,000 1-pound loaves of bread, were not destroyed by the earthquake or fire. The bakeries were for a time without light and power, and the work usually done by machinery had to be done by hand. This made the process slow, laborious, and expensive.

Bread was also baked at the post bakeries at Alcatraz Island, Forts Baker, McDowell, and Miley, the Presidio of San Francisco, and at the depot of recruits and casuals, Angel Island. With the hard bread

― 201 ―

and crackers pertaining to the relief stores, there has always been a plentiful supply of bread available for issue.


As fresh milk is very perishable and easily contaminated, the supply necessary for babies, children, and women was delivered by the dairyman, upon proper requisition, direct to the relief stations and to hospitals.


Under date of May 5, 1906, Major-General Greely issued the following order:
[For paragraphs 8 and 9, General Orders, No. 23, here omitted, see p. 67, ante.]
The following-named hospitals and charitable institutions were designated by the health commission to receive commissary supplies:
General hospitals.—French, Lobos and Fifth avenue; Lane, Clay and Webster streets; Mount Zion, Sutter, near Devisadero; Children's, Sacramento and Maple; California Women's. Sacramento, near Baker; Hahnemann; Clara Barton, Scott and Post; St. Mary's, 2201 Fulton; Balboa, 1408 McAllister street; Sacred Heart School Hospital, 940 Hayes; City and County, Twenty-second and Potrero; St. Luke's, Valencia and Twenty-seventh; St. Joseph's, Buena Vista Park; Morton, 700 Schraeder; Ingleside Race Track; California General, Eighteenth and Casselli avenue; German, Noe and Fourteenth streets; St. Thomas, Laguna and Page; Buena Vista, 21 Buena Vista avenue; St. Winifred, Pacific avenue.

Government control.—Deer Park, Golden Gate Park; Marine, Golf links; Presidio General Hospital; Park General, Ball grounds, Golden Gate Park; Presidio Post Hospital; Fort Mason Hospital.
Communicable diseases.—Harbor View, Baker and Jefferson; City and County, Potrero and Twenty-second; Children's.
Smallpox.—Twenty-sixth and Army streets.
Emergency (designated as city emergency).—Potrero, Kentucky and Nineteenth; Park, Stanyan street drive; Harbor Hospital; Mission High School, Twenty-fifth and Noe streets; Camp Lake, Buchanan and Hermann; Cross Hospital, 2007 Devisadero; Third Street Bridge; Forward Movement, Harbor View camp; Danish Church, Church and Duboce avenue; St. Anthony's School, Precita and Folsom; St. Paul's, Eddy and Gough streets.
Maternity.—St. Francis Lying-in.
Charitable institutions.—Sisters Holy Family, Hayes and Fillmore streets; Helpers of Holy Souls, 2212 Sacramento street; Little Sisters of the Poor, Fourth avenue and Lake street; McKinley Orphanage, Nineteenth street, near Sanchez; Hill Farm, Bothin, Marin County; Volunteers of America, 812 Shotwell street.
Major-General Greely further ordered, under date of May 10, 1906, as follows:
You are authorized and directed to purchase, out of the relief funds, butter, eggs, fresh vegetables, milk, ice, and similar stores, for use of hospitals, until further advised in regard to this matter.

To provide the necessary special diet articles a special diet department was established at the Moulder warehouse and Dr. George H. Richardson, contract surgeon, United States Army, placed in charge. All articles of food especially suitable for the sick were sorted from

― 202 ―

the general stock on hand at the various depots and sent to the special diet department for the exclusive use of the sick. There was available for issue to the sick large quantities of cocoa, chocolate, teas, soups, fancy canned meats, extracts, canned and evaporated fruits, preserves, jellies, canned vegetables, specially prepared foods for infants and invalids, cereals, crackers, etc. Purchases were made of ice, fresh meats, vegetables, oranges, lemons, eggs, butter, milk, bread, and similar fresh stores whenever needed. A large refrigerator, for the preservation of perishable stores, was constructed by the Quartermaster's Department and proved of great benefit.


Relief supplies were received from nearly every State in the Union. There was a great abundance in quantity but the variety was not always suitable. Large quantities of flour and potatoes were received and it was found difficult at times to find storage for the surplus. At times there was only a limited quantity of coffee, sugar, salt, pepper, soap, and candles on hand. The articles received with the 900,000 rations supplied by the Subsistence Department proved of great benefit and helped to make up the deficiency. The sugar-cured meats required careful attention as they had to be carefully handled and stored and quickly issued. Much cooked food, as meats, sandwiches, fresh bread, etc., were unfit for food when received and were destroyed. One carload of dressed meats arrived in such bad condition, due to failure to ice the car, that it was rejected. The meat was inspected by a surgeon and pronounced as unfit for human food.


Especial attention is invited to the value of automobiles where depots are widely scattered and a considerable distance apart. Owing to the number of points where stores were received and the number of depots where stores were issued, it was impossible to keep in direct touch with the work by using the horse as a means of transportation. The automobile solved the problem of rapid transportation. Each station and depot could be visited four times or more daily, besides keeping in touch with the offices of the commanding general, the depot quartermaster, and other administrative officers. For night work, especially under the conditions as existed in San Francisco at the time when the streets were dark and littered with wire, brick, and other obstructions, the automobile, equipped with strong side lights, proved most valuable. The machine was driven over networks of wire, through piles of débris and over obstructions that under ordinary circumstances would have blocked the streets. It would have been impossible to have ridden a horse through certain streets, yet a machine was driven through without the slightest effort. For quick transportation, and when it is necessary for an officer to be out night and day, no better means of transportation exists than an automobile of the best makes. At no time was the machine out of commission except for a short period, and the delay was easily made up by increasing the speed.

― 203 ―


In connection with this report, especial attention is invited to the excellent work performed by the Southern Pacific Company and the Santa Fe system. Food supplies were absolutely necessary to prevent suffering. The railroads opened up their entire systems for the rapid transportation of relief supplies. For weeks their terminals at San Francisco were crowded with cars containing relief supplies. The officials were extremely courteous and obliging and assisted the Subsistence Department in every way possible.

The following data shows the number of cars handled by the Southern Pacific Company:


Up to and including April 30, 1906. 

May 1 to May 10, inclusive. 

May 11 to June 12, inclusive. 

June 13 to June 30, inclusive. 


Provisions and supplies 










Sirup, honey, sugar 












Canned goods 





Oranges, lemons, etc 






Bread, crackers, cheese, butter, eggs 








Packing-house products, hams, etc 





Fresh meat 









Beans, grain, cereals 










Lumber, ties 





Stoves, furniture, chinaware 



Blankets, mattresses, bedding, cots 








Wood, coal, oil 






Lime, soap, salt, sulphur 











Total cars 







In closing this report it is desired most earnestly to thank Generals Greely and Funston and the officers of their staffs for the support and advice given in connection with the relief work performed by the Subsistence Department.
Maj. C. A. Devol, quartermaster, depot quartermaster, rendered the department every assistance possible, and the work carried on by the Quartermaster's and Subsistence departments was done in absolute harmony and without the slightest friction.
Capt. L. D. Wildman, chief signal officer, Department of California, performed excellent services in keeping up telegraphic communications between the various receiving points, the general depots, and the various civil and military headquarters.
The relations between Colonel Febiger, chief of the consolidated relief stations, and his officers and the officers of the various general depots were most harmonious, which enabled the work to be carried on without friction and delay.
The commanding officers of the Presidio, Forts Mason and Miley, the commanding officers of troops on duty in the city, and the officers

― 204 ―

of the Navy and the Marine Corps rendered every possible assistance in directing the distribution of relief stores and the furnishing of guards, details, etc.

The officers, post commissary-sergeants, and clerks engaged in the relief work performed their duties in a most excellent manner. During the early part of the work they were engaged night and day in extending relief to the destitute and homeless people. No task was too hard, no hours too long, their one aim being to care for the people. For days the officers and men had no opportunity to change their clothes and were compelled to sleep on docks or in freight sheds. The officers in charge of general depots displayed rare executive and administrative ability, and their depots were models of neatness and order. Stores were received and issued with promptitude and dispatch. Excellent care was taken of stores, and the losses by deterioration and waste were kept to a minimum. From the time that the Subsistence Department took charge of the relief subsistence stores until the depots were turned over to the relief commission there was never a day that the general depots did not have a sufficient supply of stores on hand to fill requisitions when called upon to do so.

Attention is invited to report attached hereto showing articles of subsistence stores received, purchased, and issued under the provisions of appropriation for relief of sufferers from earthquake and conflagration on Pacific coast; also list of relief stores issued during May and June, list of stores on hand June 30, and list of stores sold by the finance committee, relief and Red Cross funds, to contractors operating hot meal kitchens.

In closing this report, it is desired to thank the Commissary-General, United States Army, for his loyal support given me in the performance of the duties in extending relief to the people of San Francisco rendered destitute and homeless by the earthquake and fire.

Respectfully submitted.
Major, Commissary, U. S. A.,
In charge General Depots of Relief Subsistence Stores.
Presidio of San Francisco, Cal.

Report of subsistence stores received and issued by Maj. C. R. Krauthoff, purchasing commissary, U. S. A., from April 19, 1906, to June 30, 1906, for relief of sufferers from earthquake and conflagration on the Pacific coast. Itemized list, here omitted, shows articles received, respectively, from Maj. William L. Geary, Lieut. Henry R. Smalley, Lieut. Howard L. Martin, Capt. Frederick W. Phisterer, Lieut. Offnere Hope, Capt. James B. Gowen, Lieut. George C. Rockwell, Lieut. John K. Hume, Lieut. Elisha G. Abbott, Lieut. Charles A. Clark, Lieut. Col. George B. Davis, Lieut. Avery J. Cooper, Maj. Alexander M. Davis, and Capt. Lawrence B. Simonds, amounting in money value to $194,289.64.

― 205 ―

Articles, quantities, and value of subsistence stores on hand for use of the Army, issued for the relief of sufferers from earthquake and conflagration on the Pacific coast. Itemized list, here omitted, shows articles issued, respectively, by Maj. Charles R. Krauthoff, Lieut. Gilbert A. McElroy, Lieut. Frederic C. Test, Lieut. Jarvis J. Bain, Lieut. James L. Long, Lieut. James F. Hall, Lieut. A. M. Wilson, and Capt. Henry T. Ferguson, amounting in money value to $9,444.11.

Report of subsistence stores purchased by Maj. C. R. Krauthoff, purchasing commissary, U. S. A., from April 19, 1906, to June 30, 1906, for relief of sufferers from earthquake and conflagration on the Pacific coast. Itemized list, here omitted, shows purchases amounting in money value to $43,621.69.

Total amount money (appropriation relief of sufferers from earthquake and conflagration on the Pacific coast) disbursed during period April 19 to June 30, 1906, inclusive: For supplies, $43,621.89; for wages, $13,188.05; for meals, $193.50; total, $57,003.44.
List of relief subsistence stores issued by Maj. C. R. Krauthoff, commissary, U. S. A., in charge general relief depots, from May 1, 1906, to June 30, 1906.

Bacon and hams pounds 


Mess pork pounds 


Beans pounds 


Bread, fresh loaves 


Bread, hard pounds 


Butter pounds 


Candles pounds 


Cereals—breakfast foods, pounds 


Cocoa and chocolate pounds 


Coffee pounds 


Tea pounds 


Cheese pounds 


Crackers pounds 


Corn meal pounds 


Flour Flour issued to relief stations and bakeries. pounds 


Fish, dried, smoked, and salt, pounds 


Fish, canned cans 


Fruit, dried pounds 


Fruit, fresh boxes 


Fruit, canned cans 


Eggs, fresh dozen 


Hominy pounds 


Honey bottles 


Jams and jellies cans 


Lard pounds 


Macaroni pounds 


Milk, condensed, and cream, evaporated cans 


Milk, malted bottles 


Milk, fresh gallons 


Mineral water bottles 


Meats, canned cans 


Beef, fresh pounds 


Beef extract jars 


Mutton, fresh pounds 


Mackerel kits 

Mustard, ground pounds 


Matches gross 


Oysters cans 


Onions, fresh pounds 


Oil, olive bottles 


Oats, rolled pounds 


Potatoes, fresh pounds 


Pickles gallons 


Pepper pounds 


Peas, dried pounds 


Powder, baking pounds 


Paper, toilet cases 


Rice pounds 


Sausage, bologna pounds 


Salt pounds 


Salt, rock pounds 


Sugar pounds 


Sirup gallons 


Soap pounds 


Soups cans 


Sauce, chili, and catchup, bottles 


Starch, corn pounds 


Sauerkraut gallons 


Tapioca pounds 


Vinegar gallons 


Vegetables, canned cans 


Baby food pounds 


Custard cans 


Ice pounds 


Brown bread cans 


Postum food pounds 


(Previous to May 1, 1906, the Army did not have entire control of the issues of relief supplies.)

Back to the Top   Next Page of Report

SFFD Home Page Giuardians of The City Home Page