Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 43:
 
Chemical Engine Company No. 43

Engine Company No. 43 - 1911
724 Brazil Avenue (mapped location)

Neighborhood: Excelsior

Company History:
1911   Engine Co. No. 43 organized and assigned to quarters
1918   Engine Co. No. 43 disbanded
1925   Engine Co. No. 43 reorganized
1942   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 8 organized and assigned to quarters
1952   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 14 organized and assigned to quarters
1970   Engine Co. No. 43 relocated to new quarters at 720 Moscow Street
1970   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 14 relocated to new quarters at 720 Moscow Street
1970   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 8 disbanded
1976   Sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction

Engine No. 43 is a two-story frame Mission Revival style firehouse that was built to provide fire protection to the Excelsior Homestead District and at that time there were not many other districts nearby.  From 1911 to 1918 the company was horse drawn. When the Engine 43 was reorganized in 1925 the company received a 1918 Seagrave double combination pump and hose car with a Seagrave F-6, 6 cylinder 79.3 HP engine.  The pump was a Seagrave 750 GPM single-stage centrifugal.  The firehouse was sold at a City surplus property auction in 1976 to Dr. Steve Shohet who maintains it as a private residence.