Engine Company No. 37 - 1917
Truck Company No. 9
2501 - 25th Street (mapped location)
San Francisco Official Landmark 187
Neighborhood: Inner Mission and Bernal Heights
1918 Engine Co. 37 relocated from 1380 Utah Street
1918 Truck Co. No. 9 relocated from 1380 Utah Street
1974 January 2nd, Engine Company number changed to Engine Co. No. 9. The number 37 was given to Engine Co. No. 48, 798 Wisconsin Street.
1974 February 4th, both companies relocated to new quarters at 2245 Jerrold Avenue
1974 Bureau of Equipment relocated from the old 16 Engine quarters, 909 Tennessee Street and continues to be in service to date
Ward & Blohme designed this one-story brick and terra cotta embellished firehouse to serve the mostly Victorian homes of the residential Mission and Bernal Heights Districts. The firehouse has a double arched entry with terra cotta detail in the cornice and around the windows. A shield with "SFFD" and the two trumpet insignia of a fire department captain are embossed in terra cotta above the apparatus door. This firehouse is one of the two firehouses in the City without fire poles. The first motorized apparatus assigned to Engine 37 was a 1917 American LaFrance Type 45, registry #1473, 900 GPM rotary gear double combination pumper and hose car. The first motorized truck assigned to Truck 9 was1917 American LaFrance Type 17-6, registry #1460, 6 cylinder 100 HP engine with a 1902 Hooper previously horse drawn city service trailer. The firehouse lost a section from its eastern property line in the early 50's when the new six, now eight, lane US Highway 101, the James Lick freeway, was constructed. This heavily used freeway, the daily average of passing cars in 2008 was 325,000, is the major link to the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges from the peninsula and San Jose. Some of the traffic noise level has been reduced by the building of a two story brick freeway sound banner along the eastern side of the firehouse. When Engine 37 and 9 Truck were moved to new their new quarters at 2249 Jerrold Street, this firehouse became the home of the Bureau of Equipment. Members of BOE give the Department 24 hour apparatus repair service and operate the Department tow truck, if needed. They make pre-purchase inspections and recommendations of apparatus, appliances and equipment, monitor all apparatus at fires and work as the liaison between the Department and the City and County Central Shops scheduling normal and emergency repair work and the changeover to relief apparatus if needed, among other things.
Back to the Top