Engine Company No. 24 - 1914
100 Hoffman Avenue (mapped location)
Neighborhood: Noe Valley
1914 Engine Co. No. 24 relocated from 449 Douglas Street, and continues to be in service to date
1952 Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 20 organized and assigned to quarters
1974 Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 20 disbanded
Engine No. 24, now Station 24, was designed by John Reid Jr. The two-story building has an exposed brick facade with an arched entryway and simple cornice of brackets and dentil molding. Original drawings for the building were revised so that the building could "accommodate" motor driven apparatus with no provision for horses. This alteration signaled the beginning of the changeover from horses to motors. Apparently the company's first motorized engine was late in arriving from east coast as this photograph link to photo or place it nearby here shows the steam engine and hose wagon, both horse drawn, with an unidentified motor runabout in the street in front of quarters. Department records show that the first motorized engine of the company was a 1915 Christie worm-gear driven 2-wheel tractor with a 4 cylinder 48.4 HP motor. The Christie tractor pulled an attached 1899 American Metropolitan, registry #2623, 3rd size steam engine, double, with a 7 ½ inch stroke on a 600 GPM pump. A companion 1914 American LaFrance Type 12 Chemical, with a 35 gallon tank, and Hose Car was placed into service a year earlier. Engine Company No. 24 remains in service today at this location offering fire protection to the Noe Valley, Twin Peaks area and the Mission District.