Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 13:
 
Engine Company No. 13

Engine Company No. 13 - 1883
1458 Valencia Street (mapped location)

Neighborhood: Mission Dolores

Company History:
1883   Engine Co. No. 13 organized and assigned to quarters
1906   Earthquake or Fire damage to the firehouse, $2,000
1917   Converted to motorized apparatus
1918   August 15th, Battalion 6 organized and assigned to quarters
1941   November 1st, Battalion 6 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 7, 3160 - 16th Street
1941   November 1st, Division 3, commanded by an Assistant Chief, is organized and assigned to quarters
1954   October 14th, Division 3 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 10, 2300 Folsom Street
1958   February 7th, Engine Co. No. 13 relocated to new quarters at 3880 - 26th Street
1959   Sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction

This building is the City's oldest standing firehouse.  In the heart of the Mission District, this rare brick firehouse in the Victorian Italianate style has a front surface made entirely of cast iron detail.  Such buildings are very rare in San Francisco with most clustered in the Jackson Square area.  On the conversion from horse drawn to motorized apparatus, the company was assigned a 1916 American LaFrance Type 12 Chemical and Hose Car with a 35 gallon chemical tank with a 6 cylinder 100 HP engine.  Engine Co. No. 13 remained assigned here until 1958.  The firehouse was sold at the City's surplus property auction and is now privately owned.