Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Water Tower Companies:

 

Water Tower Company No. 4
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  July 31, 1928

Location:  North Beach, Northern Waterfront

1928   July 31st, assigned to the quarters of Truck Company No. 2, 1340 Powell Street

Location:  Downtown

1952   August, relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 3, 1067 Post Street
1958   March 1st, changed to an unmanned unit

Location:  South of Market

1958   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 29, 299 Vermont Street
1958   changed to an unmanned special call unit

Location:  Fillmore

1960   January, changed to a manned unit, housed with Engine Company No. 34, 1301 Turk Street

Location:  South of Market

1961   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 29, 299 Vermont Street as an unmanned special call unit
1971   Company disbanded

Apparatus:
Motorized:
Tractor Builder:  Mack Trucks, a 3.5 Ton chassis, 4 cylinder 70 HP engine, chain driven, with solid rubber tires
Manufacturer's Number:  7331720
Water Tower Builder:  Union Iron Works, San Francisco, designed by Henry H. Gorter
SFFD Shop Number:  WT-5

This unit is now part of the apparatus collection of the Museum