Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Single Companies:

 

Tow Truck Unit Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized 1930

Location:
1930   Assigned to the SFFD Corporation Yard, 301 Francisco Street
1946   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 356 - 7th Street
1950   Relocated to the quarters of the Bureau of Equipment, 840 Octavia Street
1970   Relocated to the new quarters of the Bureau of Equipment, 909 Tennessee Street
1974   Relocated to the new quarters of the Bureau of Equipment, 2501 - 25th Street
2002   Relocated to the Commissary and Warehouse, 1145 Evans Street
2003   Relocated to the new quarters of the Bureau of Equipment, 2501 - 25th Street

Apparatus:
1930 - 1940
TT-1    1915 Schneer, registration #2 
Engine: Wisconsin or Continental 6-cylinder, 80 HP
1929: Converted from a Hose Tender into a Tow Truck at the SFFD Corporation Yard Shop. Shop Number changed to TT-1

1940 - 1975
TT-2    1940 Kenworth 4 x 4 with a 15 ton wrecker hoist
Registration #50891
Engine: Hall-Scott 6-cylinder, 175 HP
1970   Shop Number changed to 801
            1975   Sold to a private party and it has been reported that this tow truck is still in existence and located in the State of Washington

1975 - Present (November 2009)
884      1975 Ford "L-9000" Louisville chassis, with a "Holmes" 25 ton wrecker hoist
                        Registration #U-911-HD 8
Engine:   Detroit 8-cylinder diesel, 350 HP
SFFD Shop # 884   
Note: If there is a call for the Tow Truck, it is manned by members of the Bureau of Equipment

Back to the Top