Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Single Companies:

 

Fuel Unit Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized June 19, 1923

Location: South of Market
1923   June 19th, assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street

Location: Financial District
1957   April 1st, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 12, 115 Drumm Street

Location: South of Market
1959   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 29. 299 Vermont Street
1975   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 9, 2245 Jerrold Street
1986   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 20. 285 Olympia Way
1990   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 9, 2245 Jerrold Street
1996   February 13th, relocated to the quarters of the Bureau of Equipment, 2501 - 25th Street

Apparatus:
June 19, 1923 - October 1957
FL-1    1923 Kissel Fuel Truck, closed C cab
Registration #51527
Engine: Continental 6 cylinder, 50 HP
Two 250 gallon gasoline tanks and one 100 gallon tank of motor oil
            1958: Sold at the City and County of San Francisco public auction
(2009) This truck may still be in existence as it was a fixture in San Mateo County parades in the 1980's and 1990's.  The fuel tank has been removed and a rear chassis deck with hose bed sides and benches has turned this unit into a perfect group parade unit.

October, 1957 - 1990
FL-2    1951 G.M.C. Gasoline Tanker, on a 2 ton chassis
856                  Registration # 13840
This unit was acquired from military surplus and contained one 1200 gallon gasoline tank and gasoline pump.  Also carried four 5 gallon          cans of motor oil
1970: Shop number changed to 856            

Diesel Fuel Unit No. 1

Organized 1971

Location:
1971   Assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 34, 1301 Turk Street
1980   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 10, 655 Presidio Avenue
1983   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 20, 285 Olympia Way
1990   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 9, 2245 Jerrold Avenue
1990   Company disbanded as both Fuel Units were combined into one new apparatus

Apparatus:
1971 - 1990
858    1952 Chevrolet 1 ½ ton chassis
            Engine: G.M.C. 6-cylinder, 130 HP
            1971: Converted by the City and County Central Shops, Fire Shop to a Fuel Unit using Auxiliary Engine #29 . Pump, ladder rack, and
            hose bed divider were removed.  Added: One 400 gallon diesel tank, also carried one 5 gallon can of motor oil

Fuel Unit No. 1

Reorganized 1990

Location:
1990   Company re-organized and assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 9, 2245 Jerrold Avenue
2004   Relocated to the quarters of the Bureau of Equipment, 2501 - 25th Street

Apparatus:
1990 - Present (November 2009)
811      1974 American LaFrance "Pacemaker" 1000 Series, 3-axle tandem wheel chassis
                        Registration #C-14-3626
Engine:   Detroit Diesel V-8, 350 HP
1989-90: Converted by the City and County Central Fire Shops to a Fuel Unit
Removed: the American LaFrance-Pitman 85 foot Snorkel.  Added: a "Westmark" fuel system using a 2850 gallon diesel fuel tank and a 1000 gallon gasoline tank with the distribution controls at the rear.  Shop #811 retained
1992:   Gasoline tank changed to carry diesel fuel as all in service and reserve apparatus are diesel powered engines

Note: If a call was received for the Fuel Unit, the home Engine Company, or closest available Engine Company, would man it. When the Fuel Unit is stationed at the Bureau of Equipment, if called, the unit is manned by BOE members.

Back to the Top