Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Single Companies:

 

Coffee Unit Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized: 1923

1923   Assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 17, 416 Jessie Street
1925   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 29, 380 Division Street
1951   October, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 25, 3305 - 3rd Street
1968   June, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1968   Company changed from a manned unit to an unmanned unit
1975   Company disbanded

Apparatus:

1923-1946
1922 Buick chassis
Engine:   Buick 4-cylinder, 40 HP
SFFD Shop # CF-1
Coffee Wagon (canteen) body built and installed at the Corporation Yard shop
Two large coffee urns with a built-in heating unit installed
Equipped with coffee mugs and utensils

Assignments:
            Coffee Unit 1
1946   Sold

1946-1975
1946 Chevrolet 1 ton chassis with Coffee Wagon (canteen) body built and installed at the Shop
Engine: Chevrolet 6-cylinder, 78 HP
Motor # AF 1081647
SFFD Shop # CF-2
1970   Shop number changed to 838
Coffee Wagon (canteen) body built and installed at the Corporation Yard shop
Two military-surplus coffee urns with built-in heating units installed
Equipped with all mugs, utensils, and other gear from CF-1

Assignments:
            Coffee Unit 1
            1975   Company disbanded and the apparatus transferred to the roster of the Museum

Back to the Top