Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
SFFD - Those Who Died in the Line of Duty:
 
Black Ribbon  Michael McLaughlin Black Ribbon

Michael McLaughlin - June 10, 1885 (#16)
Hose Co. No. 1 - 110 Jackson Street

BUN SUN LOW RESTAURANT FIRE - 629 JACKSON STREET

Box 25 - N.W. corner Washington and Dupont - 7:58 p.m.

SECOND ALARM
In 1885 a 2nd alarm of fire was a general alarm expect for one engine company and one hose company.

Richard Hammond, James Logan, Henry Dugan and Michael McLaughlin (since deceased) sustained serious injuries by a falling roof of a building in Chinatown at the fire of the Bun Sun Low Restaurant.

Fire Report

621 to 627 Jackson Chinese theater and stores Cause of fire: Defective range Owner: Leung Kum. Loss: $1,486 Insurance: $7,300 Paid: $ 1,486.
Jackson (rear) Chinese dwelling Cause of fire: Defective range Owner: Quong Lee Loss: $214 Insurance: $2,700 Paid: $214
629 Jackson Chinese restaurant Cause of fire: Defective range Owner: Bun Sun Low Loss: $9,614.27 Insurance: $15,500 Paid $9,314.27
631 to 633 Jackson Chinese stores Cause of fire: Defective range Owner: Cho Ky Lung Loss: $12,915 Insurance: $24,000 Paid: $10,415.
621 Washington alley Chinese dwelling and stores Cause of fire: Defective range Owner: Guen Ye Loss: $191 Insurance: $4,450 Paid: $191.
635 Jackson Chinese dwelling and stores Cause of fire: Defective range Owner: B Keesing. Loss: $12 Insurance: $10,000 Paid $12

RESTAURANT BURNED FIREMEN INJURED.

San Francisco, June 10th.

— Bun Sun Low restaurant, the finest in Chinatown, was burned to-night. Loss, $30,000. During the fire a portion of one of the roofs fell in. and caught under it James Logan, M. McLaughlin, Richard Hammond and Jerry Dugan, of Hose Company No. 1. Logan suffered from suffocation, McLaughlin from severe bruises of the body and a severe cut of the left hand, Hammond from burns on the left hand, and Dugan from bruises of the body. The injured men wire promptly cared for by their fellow firemen. Seven years ago the Bun Sun Low restaurant was destroyed by fire.

Source: Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 53, Number 94, 11 June 1885 — CALIFORNIA. [ARTICLE]

FIRE IN CHINATOWN.

A LARGE RESTAURANT AND THEATRE T BADLY SCORCHED.

1885 June 11

A few minutes before 8 o'clock last evening an alarm of fire was sounded from Station 25, to which the Department quickly responded, as the locality is in the heart of Chinatown and known to be one of the most dangerous fire traps in the city. Immediately following the alarm dense volumes of smoke and fierce jets of flame were discovered coming from the two-story building, Nos. 629, 633 Jackson street, between Kearny and Dupont. The Department lost no time in getting all the water possible to the scene of the fire, which proved to be in the Bun Sun Low restaurant. The flames were quickly subdued, but the firemen were met with so much smoke that they were greatly impeded in their work. Three of them met with accidents, which prevented them from staying long on duty, and they were taken to the Receiving Hospital for treatment. James Logan was suffocated in attempting to force his way through a dark passageway at the rear of the restaurant, and narrowly escaped with his life. M. McLaughlin was struck by some falling timbers, and his left hand was so fearfully lacerated that Dr. Blach, who attended him, is afraid it will be a long time before he will be able to report for duty. R. Hammond was severely bruised about the head, besides being lacerated in his right wrist. The roof of the Chinese theatre was considerably damaged by fire, and the entire building was thoroughly flooded with water. The company closed a long and profitable engagement on Monday evening, and last evening they sat down to a sumptuous banquet in the restaurant. They had not finished when the alarm was sounded. The loss is variously estimated at from $10,000 to $15,000.

Source: Daily Alta California, Volume 38, Number 12842, 11 June 1885 — FIRE IN CHINATOWN. [ARTICLE]

A FIREMAN'S DEATH.

1885 June 17

Michael McLaughlin, the intrepid fireman who had his left hand horribly lacerated by a falling rafter during the fire in Chinatown last Wednesday night, died at his home on Battery street last evening from tetanus, or lockjaw, supervening from the careless dressing of his injuries. The deceased was a member of Hose Company No. 1, and a brave fireman. He leaves a wife and one daughter. His funeral will take place this afternoon, under the auspices of the Fire Department.

Source: Daily Alta California, Volume 38, Number 12848, 17 June 1885 — A Fireman'* Death. [ARTICLE]

MICHAEL McLAUGHLIN’S DEATH.

1885 June 19

An inquest was held by the Coroner yesterday afternoon to investigate the cause of the sudden death of Michael McLaughlin, the fireman who died last Tuesday from injuries received at a fire in Chinatown on the Wednesday night previous. After a long deliberation the jury rendered a verdict of death from tetanus, or lockjaw, due to the unprofessional manner in which City Physician Blach had dressed the injuries received by the deceased at the fire, and further censured Dr. Blach for not having properly attended to his duty on that occasion. This verdict is severely condemned by those familiar with the details of the case, who denounce it as unjust to Dr. Blach and ridiculous upon its face, as the first dressing of the wound by Dr. Blach could not by any possibility be a factor in the death of McLaughlin. They say that the verdict is based entirely on surmise and ignorance of surgery on the part of the jury. Coroner O'Donnell did not approve of the verdict.

Source: Daily Alta California, Volume 38, Number 12850, 19 June 1885 — Michael McLaughlin’s Death. [ARTICLE]

Extracted from original sources with grammar and spelling as published.

Back to the Top