Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 47:
 
Engine Company No. 47

1298 Girard Street
Built 1915
Lot Size 50' X120'
Opened 1915

Engine Company No. 47 - 1913
1298 Girard Street (mapped location)

Neighborhood: Excelsior

Company History:
1913   Engine Co. No. 47 organized and assigned to quarters
1915   Engine Co. No. 47 relocated to the old quarters of Chemical Co. No. 8, 540 Point Lobos Avenue
1928   Engine Co. No. 18 reorganized and assigned to quarters
1952   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 29 organized and assigned to quarters
1959   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 29 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. no. 21, 1443 Grove Street
1973   May 25th, Company number changed to Engine Co. No. 44 and continues to be in service to date

Completed and ready to be occupied in 1913, the brick, iron and terra cotta firehouse of Engine Company 47 could not be put into service until the arrival of motor driven apparatus that was being delivered from the east coast.  The two-story brick building, designed by John Reid Jr., has terra cotta cornices with acanthus leaf molding and brackets. "SFFD" and "No. 47" are embossed in terra cotta medallions on either side of the apparatus door.  Small iron balconies embellish the three windows of the upstairs dormitory.  Station 44 is the oldest firehouse still in active service.