Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 2:
 
Engine Company No. 2
Engine Company 2 - 460 Bush Street
The crew and friends in front of quarters
460 Bush Street Engine #2
Built 1908
Block - 270
Lot Size 27'6" X 115'

Engine Company No. 2 - 1908
460 Bush Street (mapped location)

San Francisco Official Landmark 143

National Registry of Historical Places No. 200200037

Neighborhood: Financial District

Company History:
1906   Earthquake or Fire damage to house appraised at $15,000, cost to rebuild the firehouse $25,000
1908   Engine Co. No. 2 relocated from temporary quarters at 2139 Geary Street following the 1906 Fire
1918   Converted to motorized apparatus
1918   August 15th, Battalion 8 organized and assigned to quarters
1941   November 1st, Battalion 8 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 49, 2155 - 18th Avenue
1952   December 11th, Searchlight Co. No. 2 reorganized and assigned to quarters
1956   January 23rd, Searchlight Co. No. 2 relocated to the quarters of the Utility Squad, 1145 Ellis Street
1965   The unmanned Sand Truck assigned to quarters
1969   Searchlight Co. No. 1 relocated from Engine Co. No. 35, 36 Bluxome Street
1970   June 18th, Company relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 1, 115 Drumm Street.  (On July 12, 1970 the company was deactivated and placed out of service due to budget cuts)
1970   June 18th, Searchlight Co. No. 1 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1970   June 18th, the Sand Truck relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No.3, 1067 Post Street. Sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction

City Architect Newton J. Tharp designed Engine Co. No. 2 in the orderly and symmetrical "City Beautiful" style to proclaim its civic importance, adding emblematic shields and prominent inscription to further enhance the claim.  Faced in Vancouver granite, with windows flanked by ionic pilasters and a graceful balustrade roof, this stylish structure was the first thoroughly fireproof station built after 1906.  This firehouse is located in the heart of the Financial District.  In August of 1918 the company was converted to motorized apparatus by being assigned a 1916 American LaFrance Type 45 900 GPM rotary gear pump with a 6 cylinder 120 HP engine that had previously been assigned to Engine 5.  Engine Co. No. 2 was one of four engine companies to be deactivated on July 1, 1970 due to City budget cuts to the Fire Department.  Soon after, the firehouse was sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction.

Back to the Top