Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 14:
 
Engine Company No. 14
Engine Company No. 14

Engine Company No. 14 - 1884
1051 McAllister Street (mapped location)

Neighborhood: Western Addition

Company History:
1884   Engine Co. No. 14 organized and assigned to quarters
1898   Chemical Engine Co. No. 4 relocated from 634 Eddy Street
1912   Chemical Engine Co. No. 4 relocated to Truck Co. No. 3, 431 Polk Street
1918   Converted to motorized apparatus
1918   August 15th, Battalion 3 organized and assigned to quarters
1941   November 1st, Battalion 3 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 35, 36 Bluxome Street
1961   May 2nd, Engine Co. No. 14 relocated to new quarters at 109 Oak Street

This firehouse was built to house the newly organized Engine Company No. 14 which went into service with an assignment of twelve men.  Previously, the neighborhood had been protected by Hose Company No. 6, which only carried hose, from their firehouse at 1917 McAllister Street.  For the next seventy-seven years this house remained in service.  In 1918 Engine No. 14 made the changeover to motorized by being assigned a 1918 Seagrave double combination 750 GPM single stage centrifugal pump with 6 cylinder 79.3 HP engine.  In 1961, Engine14 was moved to new quarters at 109 Oak Street, and the McAllister Street firehouse was closed.  Most of the firehouse was demolished as part of a Western Addition redevelopment project in the 1960's, but the façade was preserved, and the address was changed to 1047 McAllister.  This facade now acts as a portal of the past, serving as the gated entrance to a housing complex.