Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Chemical Engine Company No. 2:
 
Chemical Engine Company No. 2

Chemical Engine Company No. 2 - 1898
1348 - 10th Avenue (mapped location) 

San Francisco Official Landmark 29

Neighborhood: Inner Sunset

Company History:
1899   Chemical Co. No. 2 reorganized after being disbanded in1897 and assigned to quarters
1900   Chemical Co. No. 2 relocated to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 5, 1819 Post Street
1900   Engine Co. No. 22 organized and assigned to quarters
1910   Chemical Co. No. 2 relocated to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 5, 1819 Post Street
1915   Converted to motorized apparatus
1962   December 17th, Engine Co. No. 22 was relocated to new quarters at 1290 - 16th Avenue
1969   Sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction

The Inner Sunset district's first firehouse which was the quarters for Chemical Engine No. 2 was also designed by Charles R. Wilson.  In 1915 Engine 22 received  a Christie worm-gear-driven 2 wheel 4 cylinder 48.4 HP tractor attached to a 1907 Metropolitan, registry #3212, 2nd size 700 GPM steam engine.  The company also received a 1913 American LaFrance, registry #274, combination Chemical and Hose Car with one 35 gallon chemical tank.  The two story wooden building was sold at auction in 1969.  Now tastefully painted in accents of brick red and white, with many of its firefighting artifacts as reminders of its history, the building is currently home to the Oakes Children's Center.