Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Volunteer Companies:

 

Crescent Engine Company No. 10

Date Organized:  November 4, 1852

Ohio Street, leads from Pacific to Broadway, between Montgomery and Sansome.
1860 Pacific Street, west side, between Kearney and Montgomery Streets. A two story fireproof brick building, city property, in good order, 1860.
1864 house in bad order.
1865 Company moved to Stockton Street (1804), east side, near Greenwich Street.  A two story brick building, city property, in good order.

Foreman:
1860 William Free
1862 Charles McCann
1866 Samuel Newman

Apparatus:
1855 Engine: a New York side-lever engine
1860 Engine: James Smith, New York, third class, city property.   Hose carriage, two wheel, city property.
1863 Engine: Cowing, Seneca Falls, New York, second class, side-lever engine, city property.

 Members:
1855 - 65
1860 - 57
1863 - 61
1864 - 49
1866 - 46

* CRESCENT ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 10, was organized November 4th, 1852, by Messrs. James P. Casey, Charles Bachman, L. M. Byrne, J. Hawes Davis, and others, and is located in Ohio street, between Pacific street and Broadway. They possess a New York engine, and for celerity and efficiency at fires cannot be excelled. In the ranks are very many old Atlantic firemen. The city is now providing for the construction of a fine building for No. 10.

* Source: Frank Soulé, John H. Gihon, M.D., and James Nisbet. The Annals of San Francisco. 1855: San Francisco