Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Searchlight Companies:

 

Searchlight Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  April 18, 1929

Location:  South of Market

1929   April 18th, assigned to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 1, 418 Jessie Street
1935   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street 
1947   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 35, 36 Bluxome Street

Location:  Financial District

1969   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 2, 460 Bush Street

Location:  South of Market

1970   June 18th relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street 

Location:  Fillmore, Haight, Richmond

1971   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 21, 1443 Grove Street
1994   March 1st, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 5, 1301 Turk Street, for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
1995   April 1st, returned to quarters 1443 Grove Street
1999   March 11th, Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 135 Sanchez Street
1999   March 20th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 21, 1443 Grove Street
2000   December 4th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 21, 1443 Grove Street

Apparatus:

April 18, 1929 - April 5, 1950
1928 Kleiber, registration #4353, closed-cab chassis with a body built by the SFFD Corporation Yard
Engine:  Continental 6-cylinder, 120 HP
SFFD Shop No. LW-1
            Kohler 10,000 Watt generator powered by a 4-cylinder gasoline engine
One 2000 Watt floodlight
Five 1000 Watt floodlights mounted on a swivel bar on top of the body
Eight 400 Watt portable floodlights
Four 500 foot reels of electrical cable on each side of apparatus
1950   April 5th, destroyed in accident. Chassis damaged beyond repair.  Entire electrical system with generator and lights removed for re-installation on a new chassis.

April 5, 1950 - 1969
1928 Kleiber, registration #4354, closed-cab chassis with a body built by the SFFD Corporation Yard
Engine: Continental 6-cylinder, 120 HP
SFFD Shop No. LW-2
            Kohler 10,000 Watt generator powered by a 4-cylinder gasoline engine
One 2000 Watt floodlight
Five 1000 Watt floodlights mounted on a swivel bar on top of the body
Eight 400 Watt portable floodlights
Four 500 foot reels of electrical cable on each side of apparatus

1969 - 1989
1952 G.M.C., registration #3872, closed-cab chassis with body built by the City & County Central Shops, Fire Shop
Engine: G.M.C. 6-cylinder, 170 HP
1952   SFFD Shop No. LW-3
1970:  SFFD Shop No changed to 831
Generator, lights, and all elements of the electrical system from LW-1 installed in the new apparatus body
1975:   Old body and electrical system removed.  New appliances added:
                        60 cycle, 15,000 W. generator powered by a Mercedes-Benz 4 cylinder, 26 HP diesel engine
40 feet hydraulically-operated telescopic light tower installed with one 1000 Watt quartz-iodine lamp
Two 1000 Watt wide beam Metalarc lamps
Two 1500 Watt narrow beam Metalarc lamps
Eight 500 Watt portable floodlights
Four 500 foot reels of electrical cable on each side of apparatus
            1989   Chassis sold; electrical components removed for installation on new chassis

1989 to present
1989 Pirsch-Ford "C-8000" tilt-cab chassis with Pirsch-built body
Engine: Caterpillar diesel, 210 HP
SFFD Shop No. 888
            Generator, lights, and electrical components from Shop number 831 installed by Pirsch

Back to the Top