Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Salvage Companies:

 

Salvage Company No. 2
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  March 1, 1955

Location:  Castro, Hayes Valley, Haight and Fillmore
1955   March 1st, assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 27, 135 Sanchez Street

Location:  Western Addition, Lower Pacific Heights, Fillmore
1960   November 18th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 15, 2150 California Street 
1971   July 1st, placed into a unmanned reserve status due to City budget cuts to the Fire Department
1974   March 11th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 13, 115 Drumm Street
1975   February, company disbanded

Apparatus:
March 1, 1955 - 1960
SA-7        1950 Mack Model Type-50, “505-S”, Salvage Wagon; closed cab
Registration #2065

Engine: Mack 6 cylinder, 110 HP
1950: SFFD Shop # 68

1960 - July 1, 1971
July 1, 1971 - February 1975 - (as an unmanned special unit)
SA-9       1948 American LaFrance "700" Series Tank Wagon
865         Registration #9090

Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
1959: conversion in the Central Fire Shops from Tank Wagon TW-16 to a Salvage Unit.  The pump, tank, and hose reels were removed
1970: Shop number changed to #865,
Assignments: (Pre-conversion, see Tank Wagons)
1959 - 1960                                                     Salvage 1
1960 - July 1, 1971                                        Salvage 2