Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Salvage Companies:

 

Salvage Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  1951

Location:  South of Market
1951   Assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 356 - 7th Street
1955   Relocated to the former quarters of Salvage Co. No. 1A, 147 Natoma Street
1956   April 9th, relocated to the new quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 356 - 7th Street
1976   July 1st, placed into a unmanned reserve status due to City budget cuts to the Fire Department
1980   Company disbanded

Apparatus:
1951 - 1959
SA-6        1950 Mack Model Type-50, "505-S", Salvage Wagon; closed cab

Registration # 2064
Engine:  Mack 6-cylinder, 110 HP

1959 - 1960
SA-9       1948 American LaFrance "700" Series Tank Wagon
Registration #9090

Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
1959: conversion in the Central Fire Shops from Tank Wagon (TW-16) to a Salvage Unit. The pump, tank, and hose reels were removed
1970: Shop number changed to #865

1960 - 1975
SA-10      1948 American LaFrance "700" Series Tank Wagon
866       Registration #9090

Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
1960: conversion in the Central Fire Shops from Tank Wagon (TW-17) to a Salvage Unit. The pump, tank, and hose reels were removed
1970: Shop number changed to 866

1975 - July 1, 1976
July 1, 1976 - 1977 - (as an unmanned special unit)
870      1975 Ford "C-1000", tilt-cab Salvage Wagon
Registration #B-35395

Engine: Caterpillar 8-cylinder diesel, 225 HP

1977 - 1980 - (as an unmanned special unit)
SA-10      1948 American LaFrance "700" Series Tank Wagon
866        Registration #9090

Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
1960: conversion in the Central Fire Shops from Tank Wagon (TW-17) to a Salvage Unit. The pump, tank, and hose reels were removed
1970: Shop number changed to 866