Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 8
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  1868

Location:  Polk Gulch

1868   Assigned to quarters at 1214 Pacific Avenue, the former quarters of Hose Co. No. 3
1877   Relocated to new quarters at 1616 Pacific Avenue
1906   April 18th, the firehouse, a two story frame building, valued at $15,000, was totally destroyed in during the 1906 Fire
1906   After April 23rd, the quarters are declared temporary
1917   Relocated to new quarters at 1648 Pacific Avenue. The cost of the new building was $23,000
1918   August 18th, company disbanded
1922   Company reorganized at the quarters of Truck Co. No. 4, 1618 Pacific Avenue

Location:  South of Market

1973   March, relocated to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 8, 36 Bluxome Street, the former quarters of Engine Co. No. 35
1992   October 9th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 35, 676 Howard Street for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
1994   August 30th, returned to quarters at 36 Bluxome Street
2008   March 4th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 29, 299 Vermont Street due a termite control conditions
2008   March 6th, returned to quarters at 36 Bluxome Street