Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 31
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  1895

Location:  Nob Hill

1895   Assigned to quarters at 1214 Pacific Street, the former quarters of Chemical Co. No. 5
1904   Relocated to new quarters at 1236 Pacific Street
1906   The firehouse, a two story wood frame, valued at $8,000, was totally destroyed in during the 1906 Fire
1906   April 23rd, company disbanded

Location:  Russian Hill

1908   Company reorganized and assigned to new quarters at 1088 Green Street.  Cost to the new building, $11,000
1919   Converted to motorized apparatus
1952   August 7th, Company disbanded due to City budget cuts to the Fire Department

Location:  Inner Richmond

1972   May 16th, company reorganized and assigned to quarters at 441 - 4th Avenue, the former quarters of Engine Co. No. 46
1994   April 20th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 22, 1290 - 16th Avenue, for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
1996   April 4th, returned to quarters at 441 - 12th Avenue

Apparatus:

Steam Engines, horse drawn
1895   Unknown
1900   1899 American LaFrance Metropolitan, 3rd size, 600 GPM, registration #2623
1905   1882 Clapp & Jones, 850 GPM, registration #399, with a boiler that was rebuilt in 1890
1910   1907 American LaFrance Metropolitan, 3rd size, 600 GPM, registration #3213

Motorized:
1918   1917 American LaFrance, Type 45,  900 GPM rotary gear, registration # 732, SFFD Shop # C-12
1921   1918 Seagrave, 750 GPM, registration #20039, SFFD Shop # C-21
1929   1918 Seagrave, 750 GPM, registration #22523, SFFD Shop # C-29
1940   November, 1938 Seagrave, 1000 GPM, registration #92480, SFFD Shop # C-74

To be continued

Back to the Top