Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 28
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  1895

Location:  Telegraph Hill, North Beach, Chinatown and the Northern Waterfront

1895   Assigned to quarters at 301 Francisco Street
1906   The firehouse, a two story wood frame, valued at $10,000, was totally destroyed in during the 1906 Fire
1913   March 4th, moved to new quarters at 1814 Stockton Street
1966   May 30th, relocated to Engine No. 1, 115 Drumm Street for the rebuilding of a new firehouse
1967   July 11th, returned from Engine 1 to new quarters
1999   June 9th, relocated to Engine 13, 530 Sansome Street for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
2000   June 17th, returned to quarters at 1814 Stockton Street

Engine Company No. 28 replaced Hose Co. No. 4 that had been serving the district since 1866

Hose Co. No. 4 replaced Crescent Engine Co. No. 10 that had been serving the district since 1852

Apparatus: Motorized

February 13, 1913 - 1914
1912 Seagrave chain drive 4 wheel tractor coupled with an 1894 Clapp & Jones double piston steam engine 900 GPM, No. 2310
Shop No. TR-1
THE FIRST MOTORIZED ENGINE COMPANY IN THE DEPARTMENT

 February 13, 1913 to 1915
1912 Seagrave Chemical and Hose Car with a 40 gallon soda-acid chemical tank with  A Seagrave water-cooled 6 cylinder 80 HP engine
Shop No. CW-8
Ran as a hose wagon to the engine

1914-1917
1914 American LaFrance Type 21 2nd size steam engine No. 3420 front drive, chain drive
Pump: American LaFrance Metropolitan double 8 inch piston, 700GPM
Engine: American LaFrance 6 cylinder, 105 HP
Shop No. TR-8

1915-1917
1914 White Chemical and Hose Car with a 35 gallon soda-acid chemical tank and a White 4 cylinder, 40 HP motor
Shop No. CW-16
Ran as a hose wagon to the engine

1917-1918
1914 White Chemical and Hose Car with a 35 gallon soda-acid chemical tank and a  White 4 cylinder, 40 HP motor
Shop No. CW-15
Ran as a hose wagon to the engine

1917-1918
1914 American LaFrance Type 21 2nd size steam engine No. 3419 front drive, chain drive
Pump: American LaFrance Metropolitan double 8 inch piston, 700GPM
Engine: American LaFrance 6 cylinder, 105 HP
Shop No. TR-7

1918 - 1931
1918 Seagrave double combination engine and hose car, chain drive
Pump:  Seagrave 750 GPM single stage centrifugal
Engine: Seagrave F-6, 6 cylinders, 79.3 HP
Shop No. C-21

1931 - 1953
1931 Mack Type 19 double combination pumper and hose, open cab, worm gear drive
Pump: Byron-Jackson 1000 GPM 4-stage centrifugal
Engine: Mack 6 cylinder, 150 HP
Shop No. C-60

1953 - December 15th 1960
1953 American LaFrance "700” Series double combination pumper and hose, open cab with jump seats behind.
Pump: American LaFrance "Centraflow" 1000 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
Shop No. C-100

December 15, 1960 - 1967
1960 American LaFrance "900" Series triple combination pumper and hose with a 400 gallon water tank and 2 booster reels, open cab with jump seats
Pump: American LaFrance "Centraflow" 1000 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: Continental 6 cylinder, 330 HP
Shop No. TC-14

1967 -1978
1966 American LaFrance "900" Series triple combination pumper and hose with a 400 gallon water tank and 2 booster reels, open cab with jump seats
Pump: American LaFrance "Centraflow" 1000 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: Continental 6 cylinder, 330 HP
Shop No. TC-39
Changed to No. 539 in 1970

1978 - May 1986
1978 American LaFrance "Century" Series triple combination pumper and hose with a 500 gallon water tank and a single booster reel, closed cab with jump seats
Pump: American LaFrance "Centraflow" 1500 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: Detroit Diesel 8V71, 350 HP
Shop No. 522

May 1986 – 1987
1985 Steeldraulics Products, Inc. on a Kenworth "L-700" tilt-cab chassis triple combination pumper and hose with a 500 gallon water tank and a single booster reel, raised, enclosed crew cab
Pump: W. S. Darly 1500 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: Cummins NTC-350 6 cylinder diesel, 350 HP
Shop No. 581

May 1987 – November 1991
1985 Steeldraulics Products, Inc. on a Kenworth "L-700" tilt-cab chassis triple combination pumper and hose with a 500 gallon water tank and a single booster reel, raised, enclosed crew cab
Pump: W. S. Darly 1500 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: Cummins NTC-350 6 cylinder diesel, 350 HP
Shop No. 582

May 2003
2002 Ferrara on an H.M.E. chassis triple combination pumper and hose with a 500 gallon water tank and a front mounted 1 inch hose line, 50 gallon foam system, enclosed 4 door cab.
Pump: Hale 1500 GPM 2-stage centrifugal
Engine: Cummins ISC diesel, 350 HP
Shop No. 540

Other companies housed with Engine Company No. 28:

Chemical Engine Company No. 1
1931   Relocated from Engine Co. No. 35
1946   Disbanded

Tank Wagon Company No. 1
1946   Organized
1960   December 15th, disbanded
 
Hose Tender Company Co. No. 8
1958   April 9th, organized
1974   Disbanded

Manifold Hose Wagon No. 2
Placed into service during the 1980's due to extensive cable line reconstruction 

Back to the Top