Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 17
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  1888

Location:  South of Market, Tenderloin

1888   Assigned to quarters at 34 Mint Street (418 Jessie Street)
1906   The firehouse, a two story brick building, valued at $12,000, was totally destroyed in during the 1906 Fire
1906   April 23rd, quarters judged temporary due to the Earthquake and Fire
1916   Relocated to new quarters at 416 Jessie Street.  Cost of the new building $22,000
1968   June 5th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 356 - 7th Street for the rebuilding of the firehouse
1969   September, returned to new quarters 416 Jessie Street

Location:  Hunters Point

1973   November 21st, relocated to quarters of Truck Co. No. 17, 1295 Shafter Avenue
1996   Relocated to the Hunters Point Naval firehouse, Spear Avenue, at Fisher Avenue (south side) for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
1997   February 7th, returned to quarters, 1295 Shafter Avenue