Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  December 3, 1866

Location:  North Beach, Financial District and the Northern Waterfront

1866   December 3rd, assigned to quarters at 419 Pacific Street, the former quarters of Howard Engine Co. No. 3
1867   Relocated to City Corporation Yard, Jackson Street, between Kearney & Montgomery
1868   Relocated to new quarters, 419 Pacific Street.  Cost of new building, $18,000
1868   Relocated to City Corporation Yard, Jackson Street, between Kearney & Montgomery
1872   Relocated to 419 Pacific Street due to earthquake damage
1906   The firehouse, a frame building, was totally destroyed during the 1906 Fire.  Value of the loss, $12,000
1906   April 23rd, company disbanded
1908   Company reorganized and assigned to new quarters at 451 Pacific Avenue, cost $18,000
1958   April 9th, relocated to 115 Drumm Street at the quarters of Engine Co. No. 12

Location:  South of Market, Tenderloin, Financial District

1973   November 21st, relocated to 4l6 Jessie Street, the quarters of Truck Co. No.1, the former quarters of Engine Co. No. 17
1995   February 2nd, relocated to 676 Howard Street, the former quarters on Engine Co. No. 4
1998   September 14th, relocated to 36 Bluxome Street, the quarters of Engine Co. No. 8 for the earthquake retrofitting of the firehouse
1999   June 9th, returned to quarters at 676 Howard Street