Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Divisions:

1st Assistant Chief
San Francisco Fire Department

(From the start of 2 platoon system only)

Organized:  August 15, 1918

Location:  Downtown

1918   August 15th, assigned to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 1, 36 O'Farrell Street
1925   Relocated to the new quarters of Truck Co. No. 1, 418 Jessie Street

Division 1

Re-designated as a Division with the requirement that it be staffed by an Assistant Chief

Organized:  November 1, 1926

Location:  Downtown, west to Van Ness Avenue and South of Market District to 16th Street

1926   November 1st, assigned to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 1, 418 Jessie Street
1961   May 2nd, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 12, 115 Drumm Street
1975   April 15th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 35, 676 Howard Street
1975   September 25th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 13, 530 Sansome Street
1991   September 19th, Division disbanded due to City budget cuts to the Fire Department
1997   April 17th, Division reorganized and assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 13, 530 Sansome Street
2001   October 21st, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 35, Foot of Harrison Street at Pier 22 ½
2002   January 2nd, Division disbanded due to City budget cuts to the Fire Department

 Prior to 1918:
c. 1880   A District Engineer, or the 3rd Assistant Chief, was housed at the quarters Engine Company No. 4, 122 Second Street