Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Chemical Engine & Tank Wagon Companies:

 

Chemical Engine Company No. 6
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  1892

Location:  Mission

1892   Assigned to quarters at 2452 Folsom Street

Location:  South of Market

1893   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 311 - 6th Street
1906   April 18th, the firehouse, a two story frame building, valued at $10,000, was a total lost due to the 1906 Fire
1906   After April 18th, relocated to temporary quarters of Engine Co. No. 3, 1423 Pine Street
1916   Relocated to the new quarters of Engine Co. No. 3, 1067 Post Street

Location:  Polk Gulch

1918   August 15th, relocated to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 4, 1648 Pacific Avenue

Location:  Marina

1922   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 20, 2117 Filbert Street
1926   Relocated to new quarters of Engine Co. No. 20, 2666 Lombard Street
1938   Relocated to new quarters of Engine Co. No. 20, 2251 Greenwich Street
1941   Chemical Co. No. 6 converted to Tank Wagon Co. No. 6
1955   Relocated to the temporary quarters in the Palace of Fine Arts for the rebuilding of the firehouse
1956   May, returned to the rebuilt quarters at 2251 Greenwich Street
1960   March 4th, company disbanded