Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Chemical Engine & Tank Wagon Companies:

 

Chemical Engine Company No. 5
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  December 3, 1866

Location:  Polk Gulch

1892   Assigned to the former quarters of Truck Co. No. 4, 1214 Pacific Street

Location:  Telegraph Hill, North Beach

1895   Relocated to the former quarters of Hose Co. No. 4 at 1804 Stockton Street
1897   Relocated to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 2, 627 Broadway Street
1906   April 18th, the firehouse, a two story brick building, valued at $10,000, was a total lost due to the 1906 Fire
1906   After April 18th, the quarters at 627 Broadway Street are declared temporary
1916   Relocated to the new quarters of Engine Co. No. 5, 1340 Powell Street   

Location:  Haight

1918   August 15th, relocated to new quarters of Truck Co. No. 12, 1757 Waller Street
1936   Chemical Co. No. 5 converted to Tank Wagon Co. No. 5
1956   May 23rd, relocated to the new quarters of Engine Co. No. 40, 1145 Stanyan Street
1960   February 24th, company disbanded